Monday 22 September 2008

Days 1-4 (approximately 5 weeks until go to Roti for the first time)

Well being the organised soul that I am I’ve only just doing this, my first post and already I’m behind! To be honest there isn’t a massive amount to tell, most of the time has been just about general orientation and getting over jet lag. It is hot and sunny here which as I’m sure you all realise, I only tollerate in the name of development. Unfortunately I was hoping that most of my orientation could be done on my back in the sand next to the sea however I am yet to make a substancial visit to the beach. The beach near us has a massive coral or breakwater or something, which means that thus far whenever we have gone down it has been inaccessible because the tide has been out.

‘We’ is currently four of us who are all on induction together. Induction is happens about 3 or 4 times a year for new volunteers and apparently this is quite a small number for this. Our little crew currently consists of-

1) SSam- from Utrecht in holland- he will be an IT manager on west timor in kupang. I’m not sure if it is simply to fulfil a stereotype but he is genuinely fascinated when he sees hills.

2) SSuzanne- from Kiddiminister- the woman who I had hoped would act as my mum when she is working as a nurse advisor in Rote unfortunately she appears to have different ideas and is hoping to be the irresponsible risk taker of the two of us (her words not mine!)

3) DDorothyiea (spelling?) (Thia or if you want to annoy her, dotty)- from stuttgart and is an IT Boffin and will be working on a 12 month placement here in Bali on a database however she works for Accenture so she may start and then decide it won’t make enough money and pull out (sorry that’s an NpfIT joke, yes I am ashamed).

I’m currently sat on my porch of my hotel, we’re going to head out and get some food soon. We are moving out of hotel tomorrow to each move in with seperate Indonesian famillies for the next few weeks in Bali.


Unfortunately the photos don't want to load so you'll have to wait until later this week when i go to the office!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uploading photos. Haha!! Bali is about the best interweb we got in Indo and we never managed to upload a single photo.

janieA said...

Hello Bighead!
That was the funniest thing I have read for some time! Drink it all in and enjoy the once in a lifetime xpo
I can say you were the boy who gave me a lemsip when I was poorly.
Speak soon
Jane A