Wednesday 24 September 2008

Days 8-10 (approximately 4 weeks until go to Roti for the first time)

Well i'm sure you have all been waiting with baited breath for my next post (sarcasm). To be honest, it's not that exciting here right now! I'm at language school where i have been cast in the role of a dunce (complete with D cone hat and everything). It's really quite tough in a lot of ways, it's only been four days and they already expect us to know quite a lot, which i don't! i am trying my best though and today was much better than yesterday. i can read it and understand words but it's getting it stuck in my head and nailing down sentence structure.

We are expected to do at least a couple of hours independent study after our morning classes plus homework assignments so it's a bit hardcore. We do have next week off though (the school is shut, religious holiday) but that is actually quite tough as well. Knowing we're not staying here and not haveing a job makes it difficult to meet people plus, what do you do to fill your time? i've been reading a lot which is good really (when i'm not studying of course!).

I have seen two motorcyle crashes this week in the evenings which given the general road attitude of most riders is surprisingly few but still two more than i've seen in my whole life in england! they over take on both sides, don't check mirrors or blind spots and generally buzz around cars like mosquitos normally without helmets and sometimes a whole family (5 is the record i've seen!) on a scooter.

My host family has basically left me to my own devices which in many ways i really appreciate. It's nice to have your own space to just get away from everyone. I have noticed rather an annoying trend, i had been warned of the annoying 'hello mister' from locals which on the whole i just accept. However i have now noticed teenagers doing it as a way of trying to mock me in a jeering manner. I guess wherever you go in the world, on any continent, in every culture, teenagers will be tedious.

Generally i'm fine, i do ocassionally have the made panic of "what have i done?!" but on the whole okay.

We might go to a surf school next week but we have to see how it fits in with our required trips to the VSO office.

1 comment:

Lorna said...

the teenagers saying hello mister, its not differeny cultures, its just you my friend!

enjoy every monet, even the tough times, you living an experience that will change your whole life, im so excited for you!